Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Venice: First Impressions

There are plenty of clichés about making a good first impression with the people you meet. I have found this to be just as true with cities that I meet in person for the first time.

Yesterday, I arrived in Venice, perhaps, in terms of scenic views, the most represented city in the great museums of the world. Needless to say, I expected to gaze at the city from the vantage points of the top Renaissance painters. And I arrived to find the city shrouded in a dense layer of fog. Standing at one side of the Grand Canal, the fog that made it impossible to see the other side. Standing in the middle of Piazza San Marco, the fog made the height of the famous bell tower a mystery. There was not a cloud in the sky today, my first opportunity to enjoy the classic panoramic views of Venice. However, the first impression is what counts most: whenever I see Venice represented in painting, I will always remember that I first associated this city with thick fog.

My first impressions of some other cities:
Sydney on a quiet Sunday morning, recovering from the Mardi Gras parade, with teams of cleaning crews on the street.
Bogota at around midnight, the streets quiet enough for my cab driver to ignore the traffic lights.
Montreal on a sunny August afternoon, the locals spending their time outdoors, enjoying what was left of their summer.
Paris, a feast for the senses, inviting endless strolls through the arrondissements.
And, of course, New York. Penn Station in the evening, people scurrying in and out like rats, and the streets of Midtown with a boundless energy that led me to vow that I would one day live there.

No comments:

Post a Comment